Slideshow and module by 888 poker review
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Installing Metasploit
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Installing Metasploit

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1882

I used the 12.09 build, trunk is a bad idea for minipwner if you ever want to update anything (IMHO)
I also used a different build of metasploit that someone in the IRC channel recommended. I can't find it anywhere now, but it was called metasploit-autoload (was on Github)
That's where the msfex binary comes from - it allows you to execute a single module instead of loading all of them. Hogs far less memory.
I did actually get the full msfconsole to load, got a command prompt and an ASCII rabbit
But then it threw out errors relentlessly so I couldn't type anything. I'll have a look again soon. All I've proven so far is that it is possible to get metasploit running on an OpenWRT platform using the packages available. Hardware resources are another thing entirely...

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1883

• PunchBag
  • Fresh Boarder
No worries, cheers for that. I'm sitting playing with it now, so I'll report back if I have any more success - at the moment I'm still getting errors thrown out from the Gem bundler, but I still have Ruby 1.9.3 installed on this router, so it might be down to version numbers.

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1884

• PunchBag
  • Fresh Boarder
Complete fresh build on the router. 8Gb flash drive with 2Gb sys, 2Gb swap and 4Gb for data mounted as-per your build guide.

All the Ruby stuff installs fine, but running gem-update --system gives the usual "can't resolve symbol 'getipnodebyname'" error, then it just sits there, and top shows the [gem] process in a zombie state
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by PunchBag. Reason: noticed zombie flag in top

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1885

• PunchBag
  • Fresh Boarder
Going to have to call it a day for now, but I've not had any luck with it yet. I couldn't find the metasploit-autorun that you mentioned - that might be the key to it for now. So far I've done the following:

- Installed all of the ruby packages listed & run the "gem update --system" command. The system hangs with the gem process showing as a zombie.

- Removed all of the ruby 1.9.2 packages and installed 1.9.3:

root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin# gem update --system
Updating rubygems-update
Fetching: rubygems-update-2.0.6.gem (100%)
Successfully installed rubygems-update-2.0.6
Installing RubyGems 2.0.6
RubyGems 2.0.6 installed
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::DocumentError)
    RDoc is not installed: cannot load such file -- rdoc/rdoc
root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin# 
root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin# gem install activesupport
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError)
    SSL_connect SYSCALL returned=5 errno=0 state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin#

reboot

root@OpenWrt:~# gem install activesupport-inflector
Fetching: activesupport-inflector-0.1.0.gem (100%)
Successfully installed activesupport-inflector-0.1.0
unable to convert U+00E9 from UTF-8 to US-ASCII for lib/active_support/multibyte/chars.rb, skipping
unable to convert U+00E9 from UTF-8 to US-ASCII for lib/active_support/multibyte/unicode.rb, skipping
unable to convert U+00C6 from UTF-8 to US-ASCII for lib/active_support/inflector/transliterate.rb, skipping
unable to convert U+00FC from UTF-8 to US-ASCII for lib/active_support/core_ext/string/multibyte.rb, skipping
Installing ri documentation for activesupport-inflector-0.1.0
1 gem installed
root@OpenWrt:~#

Reboot. Install git and clone metasploit

root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin/metasploit-framework# ./msfconsole
[*] Metasploit requires the Bundler gem to be installed
    $ gem install bundler
root@OpenWrt:/usr/bin/metasploit-framework# gem install bundler
Fetching: bundler-1.3.5.gem (100%)
Successfully installed bundler-1.3.5
unable to convert U+00E9 from UTF-8 to US-ASCII for spec/bundler/bundler_spec.rb, skipping

Device craps itself & reboots...

It's frustrating to be so close without making it work, but I do suspect that it's a limitation of the hardware that stops this from working. I'm torn between continuing and giving it up as a bad job!

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1886

I think the only difference between metasploit-autoload and the regular version is the msfex binary (which I've attached, maybe it'll work for you)
Given the hardware limitations, it does seem like in a step in the right direction.
Are you trying MSF2 or MSF3? I believe that MSF3 is a dead-loss and if I'm honest, MSF2 is probably a waste of time on a WR703. Even an upgraded one, the processing power doesn't change. And if you somehow get it to be work, it will probably be like running Windows XP on a 166mhz P1. I've done it. It's not what I'd call "productive"
But it would still be cool to see it work, just to see that it can
Maybe I'll try when I get home.

msfex works, but requires a module to be specified. I don't even know how metasploit works yet, so I didn't bother.
Running msfconsole gives me:
[-] RbReadline Error: NoMethodError undefined method `split' for nil:NilClass ["/home/msf/lib/rbreadline.rb:1836:in `get_term_capabilities'", "/home/msf/lib/rbreadline.rb:2045:in `_rl_init_terminal_io'", "/home/msf/lib/rbreadline.rb:2546:in `readline_initialize_everything'", "/home/msf/lib/rbreadline.rb:3792:in `rl_initialize'", "/home/msf/lib/rbreadline.rb:4805:in `readline'", "/home/msf/lib/readline_compatible.rb:77:in `readline'", "/home/msf/lib/rex/ui/text/input/readline.rb:90:in `pgets'", "/home/msf/lib/rex/ui/text/shell.rb:184:in `run'", "/home/msf/msfconsole:169:in `<main>'"]
/home/msf/msfconsole: No such file or directory - infocmp -C

It hurts my head so I haven't bothered trying to figure it out.
Plus I'm doing this over a laggy ssh connection.
Strangely, I didn't get the error about the required gem. That could be because of differing versions, though.

P.S. replacing the socket.so file is what fixes the "can't resolve symbol 'getipnodebyname'" crap. From the 1.9.1 build, as stated in the post. Anything else won't work.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by megal0maniac.

Re: Installing Metasploit 4 years, 4 months ago #1887

• PunchBag
  • Fresh Boarder
megal0maniac wrote:
I think the only difference between metasploit-autoload and the regular version is the msfex binary (which I've attached, maybe it'll work for you)
Given the hardware limitations, it does seem like in a step in the right direction.

I'll give that a go next, cheers.

megal0maniac wrote:
Are you trying MSF2 or MSF3? I believe that MSF3 is a dead-loss and if I'm honest, MSF2 is probably a waste of time on a WR703. Even an upgraded one, the processing power doesn't change. And if you somehow get it to be work, it will probably be like running Windows XP on a 166mhz P1. I've done it. It's not what I'd call "productive"
But it would still be cool to see it work, just to see that it can

I was trying to check out the current framework from Git. That's probably where I was going wrong. I know that in the general context of things (as in, from a pentest point of view), if you got a minipwner in place then it'd make more sense to use it in conjunction with proxychains and just use metasploit that way... This is just interesting from an academic perspective!
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
2011. © 2014 Kevin Bong / Michael Vieau
Auto Insurance Quotes